Self Drive Cairns & Great Barrier Reef
Discover a touring experience like no other - you can start your day on the Great Barrier Reef, spend the afternoon in World Heritage listed rainforests, then sleep under a thousand stars of the vast Outback.
The 2000 kilometre (km) Great Tropical Drive is a world class self-drive route that will take you to some amazing places. The route maps out the region's iconic wonders - as well as its best kept secrets. be prepared for plenty of unexpected discoveries along the way.
- Explore the heard of the Great Tropical Drive - 900,000 hectares of the world's oldest tropical rainforest.
- Experience Australia's highest diversity of plants and animals, including many found nowhere else on earth.
- Strike a rich vein of history in the region's deserted goldfields and frontier towns like Charters Towers, Chillagoe and Cooktown.
- Dive into an adventure on the Great barrier Reef, raft white water rapids, trek Queensland's highest peak and drive over tropical plantations in a hot air balloon.
- Share bush tucker with traditional owners and indulge in the freshest tropical foods.
Take your time and allow at least two weeks to experience the whole drive, or choose a shorter drive to suite - there are another 13 Discovery Trails from easy one-day drives to week-long 4WD and campervan adventures.
They are briefly described here, for detailed itineraries go to www.greattropicaldrive.com.au
Things to do in Self Drive Cairns & Great Barrier Reef
Off Road Driving, Abseiling, Ballooning, Motorcycling, Mountain Biking, Quad Bike Riding, Trail bike riding, Birdwatching, Camping, Canoeing, Rock Climbing, Crabbing, Cruising, Cycling, Scuba-Diving, Fishing - Beach, Fishing - Estuary, Fishing - Fly, Fishing - Game, Fishing - Deep Sea, Fossicking, Fruit Picking, Gambling, Gliding/Hang Gliding/Paragliding, Prospecting, Golfing, Horseriding, Jet Boating, Jet Skiing, Kayaking, Seakayaking, Meditating, Motor racing, Para-Sailing/Para-Flying, Sailing, Scenic Flights, Shopping, Ice Skating/Roller Skating, Grass Skiing, Water Skiing, Skydiving, Snorkelling, Wind Surfing, Swimming, Swim with Fish, Swim with Sharks, Swim with Whales, Tennis, Train Ride, Animal Viewing, Self-Guided, Bushwalking, Guided Walks, Hiking/Trekking, Wilderness Walking, Wine Tasting,